Sunday, April 5, 2015

There are times in life when you're reminded that you're not in control, and that despite immaculate planning, things can change in dramatic ways.  Breast cancer was not on my list of things to do this year ... or ever.  But this week I dealt with my diagnosis by having a bilateral mastectomy.  Needless to say, it has put a damper on my training plans.  

Despite a hectic week of doctor's appointments and difficult decisions, I finished most of my scheduled training before Thursday's surgery, and completed the alpine combine the morning of surgery so that I would have a means of measuring how much my fitness had declined when I'm able to resume training.  I started the day doing weighted pull-ups and by Thursday evening, my exercise goal was to walk around the ICU, pushing my IV pole.






Recovering Thursday evening
Photo:  Darrin White

My focus now is to recover quickly, and stretch my chest and arm muscles in order to regain their full range of motion as quickly as possible.  I'm hoping to begin to increase my heart rate by walking on an incline (and keeping my arms still  :)) next week.

Mostly, I'm determined not to let cancer determine my goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment