Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hooray for beautiful, warm Spring weather!  This weekend Seattlites we rewarded with uncharacteristically nice weather, perfect for my first real hike.   I feel very fortunate that I have been able to walk from my house to in a beautiful wooded park during my recovery.  Spending time exploring in the woods, listening to the birds, noticing small plants just waking up from winter, feeling the rain and occasionally sun on my skin was probably the best medicine I could have.  

But now it's time to switch gears and elevate my heart rate!  

We hiked up Mailbox peak in just over two hours, a respectable pace, and I know that I could have pushed harder if I needed to.  There's an asterisk on this statement; however as I was not carrying a pack, which makes a significant difference.  I still need to work up to carrying one since my incisions are in the direct path of its shoulder straps.  

Descending Mailbox's twisted, muddy roots and loose rocks is always a challenge, and for some reason I decided that forgoing a hiking pole would be best, which I regret.  I found myself being overly protective with every step.  Slipping really is inevitable, and when the rocks under my feel began to roll and it happened I landed on my hip, instinctively outstretching my right arm to brace myself.  Behind me Darrin shrieked and I shot him a "I'm not a porcelain doll" look as I got to my feet.  I was truly fine, and I realized just how protective I had been, it was probably good for both of us to see my fall just to know that it would be ok, and it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment