Sunday, April 26, 2015

April 26, 2015
Today I am incredibly thankful that my workouts this week were 99.9% equivalent to my pre-surgery workouts.  The only slight modification being pull-ups and chin-ups.  I'm doing them with the assistance of a thick rubber band which probably reduces the load by 30 pounds or so.  I've felt really good after each workout, and have begun working more closely with  Scott Johnston, co-author of Training for the New Alpinism.  Scott has been incredibly helpful at designing workouts that push me just the right amount.  

I'm finding that my body is in better shape than my mind when it comes to certain exercises, like pull-ups.  I know that it's completely irrational, but I have this vision of my arms detaching from their sockets like a Saturday Night Life sketch.  I really didn't expect to have confidence issues, so I'm taking it slow but still pushing myself.  

Today I hiked up the snow-covered trail to  the lookout atop Granite Mountain.  Even though I knew that there would be snow, I seriously considered wearing my trail runners because I love them - so much that I've worn a gash in the side of each of them.  I'm very happy; though, that I opted for proper boots because there was much more snow than I expected and the route near the lookout was very steep, requiring me to kick steps, which would not have felt good wearing tennis shoes.

The snow was beautiful and pristine and glistened in the sun, which makes me happy.  What a beautiful day to be in the mountains!

Granite Mountain Lookout (left behind trees) and Mount Rainier
Photo:  Lisa White
 Next week's goals are to resume trail running, wear a pack, and do pull-ups without assistance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment