Sunday, March 15, 2015

March 15, 2015

This week I started vary my cardio time, dividing it into one long session with my heart rate near my aerobic threshold, and shorter sessions with my heart rate 10 - 20 bpm lower. I was fortunate that the weather cooperated for one of my short cardio sessions - a trail run on a beautiful spring day with song birds and bugs that buzzed and crawled after ending their winter naps.  The rainy Seattle weather returned today; though, just in time for a hike up (and run down) popular Mt. Si.  Fortunately the bad weather kept away the normal crowds of people, but despite Gor-Tex, every part of me was soaked. 

I guess that today's hike should also give me some credit in the mental toughness category.  Which, was timely because I just finished Steve House and Scott Johnston's book Training for the New Alpinism.   The last chapter of which outlined the importance of mental discipline during the training process as a means for preparing for big climbs.  While hiking up Mt. Si on a cold, rainy, windy day is nothing compared to the conditions on Manaslu, it's still a good feeling - and important - to push through uncomfortable circumstances. 

It's going to take a while for my shoes to dry ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment