Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1, 2015
This week was all about cardio.  Thanks to an annoying medical procedure, I was only able to do one hour of strength training this week.  While I feel incredibly guilty about not completing my planned workout, I have to keep things in perspective and accept that taking a couple of days off to let my body heal is more important.

So I focused on what I could safely do, which was cardio and hiking.  Rather than run, I logged six hours on an elevated treadmill, walking at about 3 mph, enough to keep my heart rate between 130 and 145 bpm.  And, again this weekend Seattleites were treated to spectacular late winter weather which I enjoyed by hiking up the old Mailbox peak trail in just over two hours with a light pack.


I also spent some time this week planning the next phase of my training plan, which will begin next week when I convert from the transition phase to the base phase.  During the base phase I will work on building the cardiovascular and strength base that I will need to successfully execute more climbing specific training later.  My base period will last about twelve weeks and each week I will focus on two upper and two lower body exercises and will complete 5 to thirteen hours of cardio.  I'm looking forward to this phase of training because it is more aerobic which I enjoy more that strength training.  I'm sad that I haven't practiced yoga for three weeks!  I can't remember the last time that happened, but I'm committed to making some time this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment