Sunday, March 22, 2015

I've officially started my part time job ... mountaineering trainee.  I struggled this week to fit in 10 hours of cardio plus four hours of strength training, among work meetings, doctors appointments, grocery shopping, and time with friends.  As usual, I compromised sleep in order to squeeze it all in.  But, I feel good.  Yesterday Darrin and I hiked up Mailbox peak - 4,000 feet of gain in less than 3 miles - decorated with slimy mud and slick tree roots.  Although my pack was light, I felt good - really good.  I made it to the top in less than two hours, despite the blowing snow that greeted me above the tree line.  Should have checked the weather ... and worn boots.

Spring snow at Mailbox Peak
Photo:  Lisa White

I jogged down the new Mailbox trail in order to keep my heart rate within the target range and was back at the car in less than four hours.  

Next week I'll cut my training time by about 25 percent to give my body a chance to recover, this means only one strength workout and only 6 hours of cardio.  

No comments:

Post a Comment