Monday, May 18, 2015

May 18, 2015
Finally back on a big mountain!  I took advantage of a work trip to San Francisco to spend some time this weekend with friends on Mt. Shasta.  We chose Sargent's Ridge for our approach.  First, we gained about 1,000 feet in the forest, stepping over fallen trees on the soft dirt that was covered with snow just a few weeks ago.  This was the first time since my surgery that I've carried a big pack, and my leg muscles strained occasionally with the added 40 pounds.  I was a bit concerned that the weight and position of the shoulder straps would be painful, and there were a few times that my chest felt sore.  I took a private second during a break to check things out - all looked good, so I pressed on.  

After about two hours we were on Sargent's Ridge - time to focus!  The ridge was mostly snow-covered with occasional rocks that we navigated meticulously.  

Mt. Shasta's Sargent Ridge
Photo:  Darrin White
Between clouds I watched other climbers making their way up the popular Avalanche Gulch.  I was thankful for the solitude on the ridge.  We made our way up 10,500 feet and spent two hours making camp, including a very precise tent platform complete with a retaining rock wall.  

Our meticulous tent platform at 10,500 feet
Photo:  Darrin White
We laid in the tent all night and listened to sleet batter its walls, slowly my hopes of summitting diminished.  At 3 am we downloaded a fresh weather forecast, watched a dozen headlamps descend the Avalanche Gulch and decided reluctantly to go back to sleep.  The forecast called for more precipitation culminating in thunderstorms by the afternoon.  At 7am, we woke to light wind and brilliant blue skies.  Thunderstorms??!

We decided to make the most of a brilliant day in the mountains and took turns belaying one another and descending the sixty degree slopes of the Sargent's Ridge.  It was fun to have time to play in the mountains for a few hours.  

Playing on Sargent's Ridge
Photo:  Darrin White

Overall, I felt great after our climb on Mt. Shasta.  A little sore for sure, but mostly from the weight in my pack, not from surgery.  I feel completely thankful for recovering so quickly and being strong enough to be back in the mountains and climbing with confidence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment